Many areas around the world suffer from frequent loss of electrical power.People often must use other sources of power, such as gasoline or diesel fuel.But these other power sources can be deadly if people do not ventilate the area in which they are used.The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC, says that about 430 people die every year in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. All fuel-powered engines produce carbon monoxide.Recently, carbon monoxide killed eight family members as they slept in their home in the U.S. state of Maryland.An electric company had cut power to their home because the family owed the company money.They used an electric heater connected to a small gas-powered generator inside the house.Patrick Breysse is the director of the CDC Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. He spoke to VOA on Skype.He says the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be difficult to notice. The gas is colorless. It has no odor or taste.